YTX5L-BS Lithium Battery
The high-quality alternative with substantially higher starting power, longer life and considerably lower weight.
Lithium-ion technology offers the following advantages as compared to “standard” lead-acid batteries:
- starting current is up to 30% higher – over 40 CA (lead-acid battery: 10 CA)
- substantially longer life at over 2,000 cycles under JISD standard (the lead-acid battery only survives around 150–300 complete cycles)
- less weight; 400 g as compared to 2,000 g equals a reduction of over 80%
- including distance spacers which hold the battery firmly and securely in the battery box – without any further adjustment work!
- no environmental contamination – contains no acid or heavy metals such as lead, cadmium or mercury
- contains no acid, cannot leak
- quick charging with the compatible charger – up to 90% within 6 minutes
- energy saving – stable discharge voltage and low internal resistance
- extremely safe – non-explosive and non-flammable
Length x width x height = 113 x 70 x 85 mm
Terminals: positive on the right, negative on the left
Charging current: standard 1.0 A, maximum 10 A
Cold-cranking amps (CCA): 120 A
Almost any high-quality motorbike charger that uses a pulse charging method and has an automatic switch-off can be used.
The keep-fresh-function of these chargers does not work with lithium batteries.
If you connect such a charger, it charges the battery once, then switches off and the users of the motorcycle using current would empty the battery although the charger is still connected.
To make a permanent connection possible, (f.e. in winter time) so the battery is always nearly fully loaded, you need special lithium chargers (f.e. CTEK).
Never use chargers that work with a charging voltage of more than 15 V (for example when working with high peak voltages for checking whether desulphation is required) - you find a note in the instruction manual of your existing charger!
Starting problems may occur at extremely low temperatures (below around −10° C) due to an increase in battery resistance.
However, the integrated management system means that this is less of an issue than with most conventional lithium batteries.
There is also a simple trick you can use: if the battery is not working well under extremely cold conditions, switch your headlights on for between 10 and 15 seconds. That warms up the battery and improves the starting power.